Fajitas with bellaverde® Broccoli and Homemade Tortilla Wraps
- 10 mins
Download this recipe
The chicken can be substituted with steak for beef fajitas or a drained 400g tin of chickpeas for vegetarian fajitas.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skinned
- 200g pack bellaverde® broccoli
- 2 small red onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 large, flat mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp each ground mild paprika
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder (omit if required)
- 2 limes
- Guacamole, soured cream and grated cheese to serve
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- 350g plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4tsp salt
- 75g white vegetable fat
- 200-250ml warm water
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil add the bellaverde® spears and cook uncovered for 3 mins. Drain well.
- Thinly slice the chicken and finely slice the onions, peppers and mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan or wok, when hot, add the sliced chicken and stir fry over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until just coloured.
- Add the onions and peppers and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is just cooked and the vegetables are starting to soften, add the mushrooms and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for 30 seconds more. Squeeze 1 of the limes into the frying pan/wok and season with a little salt and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute. Remove from heat and serve with warmed tortilla wraps.
- To make up a fajita place a spoonful each of guacamole and soured cream in the middle of each wrap followed by a large spoonful of chicken mixture (there should be enough of this for 2 fajitas each), lay a spear of bellaverde® down the centre, sprinkle over some grated cheese, squeeze lime juice over the top, roll up and eat warm.
Prep: 10 mins + kneading Cook: 15-20 mins Makes 8 tortillas
If you don’t have any tortilla wraps these are quick and easy to make, you can use wholemeal flour instead of plain flour to make them healthier or use half wholemeal and half plain flour.
- Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and stir to mix. Cut the white vegetable fat into small cubes and rub it into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs
- Add the warm water steadily, mixing with a round bladed knife until a pliable dough is formed. Add more warm water if needed.
- Knead the dough on a clean, floured work surface for 5 minutes until it is elastic.
- Divide into 8 pieces, cover with clear film until you are ready to roll them to prevent them drying out. On a well floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll the dough ball into a circle, cover with clear film again to stop them drying out.
- Warm a dry, heavy frying pan or griddle and cook each tortilla for 1 minute on each side until the surface starts to bubble and has turned a light golden colour.
- Wrap the tortillas in a clean tea towel to keep warm and pliable until you are ready to eat them.
Difficulty: Easy Prep: 5 mins Cook: none Serves 4
This homemade guacamole is very easy to make, make sure you use ripe avocados.
- Halve the avocados, remove the stone and scoop the flesh into a bowl, mash with a fork to the consistency you prefer. If you like chunky guacamole, leave some lumps, if you prefer it smooth then mash for longer.
- Halve the limes and squeeze the lime juice over the mashed avocados and stir to gently mix season with a little salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Serve with fajitas.
Per Serving (with pre-made tortillas): 404 calories, 43.1g protein, 38.2g carbohydrate, 9.9g fat, 1.7g saturated fat, 5.4g fibre, 0.80g salt. Counts as 3 of your 5-a-day.